Your Library Card
Who can get a library card and how to apply.
Library Card Registration:
- Library cards are issued free to residents of Iowa. The Bedford Public Library participates in the State of Iowa Open Access Program.
- When coming to the Bedford Public Library to apply for a card, you must bring identification with current address on it. For example, a driver’s license, utility bill, etc. Children who have not yet reached 14 years of age must have a parent or guardian sign their application card.
- Library cards are issued for 3 years. Upon expiration the card may be renewed after registration information is verified and charges, if any, are paid.
- Out-of-State residents will be charged a fee of $1.00 per year for a library card
- Temporary residence will be issued a temporary library card allowing them to borrow two items at a time. A fee of $1.00 per month will be charged for the temporary card
It is strongly recommended that you not lend your card to other or check out books for someone else on your card. The person to whom the card is issued is responsible for all fees, fines and materials checked out to the card.
- Books and Books on Tape are loaned out for 2 weeks
- New arrivals, Movies, and Magazines are loaned out for 1 week
- Renewals can be done in person or over the phone for another 2 weeks, provided there is no waiting list for the material. Normally, each patron may check out 4-6 books.
- Check out may be limited the first checkout with new card to 2 items.
- A reminder letter will be sent to patrons after the library materials have been overdue for several weeks.
- A second letter will be sent to patrons after the library materials remain overdue for over a month or more outlining the costs if not returned and reminding them that all library privileges (including computer usage) have been suspended until material is returned or paid for.
- A fine of $0.10 per day shall be imposed for all library materials which are overdue. Library materials may be withheld from card holders until all fines against them are paid, this also includes computer usage.
- Any damage or injury done to library material while in the borrower’s possession, beyond reasonable wear shall be paid for by the borrower. Paperbacks & Magazines lost or damaged will be charged out at a cost of $5.00 ea. Hardcover books, audio books, etc. will be at replacement cost plus a $3.00 restocking fee.